Way of learning needs lead to create various authoring tools to meet the learner requirements and the training models. Though there are various best authoring tools and each tool has its own identity to stand in the race of technology by integrating the components that are required for the learners so as to enhance the learning experience and retention.
Let’s see some of the tools that are tailored to meet the learner needs.
iSpring is one of the rapid elearning authoring tools which is integrated with Quizmaker, Dailogue simulations, Interactive Templates, screencasts, etc. Even a novice can create an intuitive course with these features in iSPring toolkit. These courses are independent of the device and hence user can access these courses in any device. As it is embedded in PowerPoint, you can easily convert PowerPoint presentations into an eLearning course. The output is compliance with LMS standards – SCORM, AICC and xAPI.
- Interactive eLearning courses can be developed without any loss of animations, triggers, embedded video/audio etc., when converted from PowerPoint.
- Content that is published over internet, can be accessible on any device with iSpring play app available in App Store and Google Play.
- What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) interface helps you to create quizzes with ease.
- This tool is available only for windows operating system.
- Limited editing options when compare to the competitors.
- PowerPoint is must to create a course.
Articulate Storyline 360:
Articulate Storyline is a collective package authoring tool that builds highly interactive, engaging and customized eLearning courses which support almost any mobile device. Free high quality assets like images, videos, audios, characters and templates can be used from the library. It provides a best viewing experience on tablets and mobile devices through its responsive player. There are 20 different question type interactions. The courses can be published for HTML5 and Flash output.
- Support touch screen gestures
- Rich features and numerous interactions with customization
- Need to invest time to master the tool
- Supports only windows operating system
- With internet connectivity, learners can access the content anywhere since it is a web based application
- Can create customized interactive lessons with pre-built lesson blocks and custom lesson blocks
- Supports both windows and MAC operating systems.
- Can create only light weight courses
Adobe Captivate, one of the most powerful eLearning authoring tool creates a fully responsive courses with its in-built screen capturing feature. Software simulation at its best, allowing you to record and edit from within the application.
- Interactions can be made besides complexity.
- Most suitable for screen recording and software simulation.
- No user intervention to design a course for a wide variety of platforms.
- Limited animation effects when compared with other competitors.
- Interactions doesn’t support fully on mobile devices.
Adobe Captivate 17:
- Responsive design through the use of fluid boxes.
- Single click to convert legacy course as a responsive course.
- Typekit integration to get access to Adobe font family.
- Customized closed captioning.
- Needs training to master the tool.
Adobe Captivate 2019:
- Virtual Reality Experience Learning
- Automatic Device Preview
- Fluid Boxes 2.0
- 360⁰ Learning Experiences
- Live Device Preview for VR
- Interactive Videos with Overlay Slides
- Smart Video Recording with Automatic Chroma Key Effects
- PowerPoint (PPT) to Responsive eLearning with Ease
- CSV Question Import Template
Lectora Inspire is one of the oldest desktop based authoring tool which creates a magnificent eLearning courses with greater flexibility. Its responsive design makes the content to automatically fit in all types of platforms. It allows you to create audio-synced content with a richer look and feel and custom functionality.
Lectora Inspire 16:
- Mobile learning courses developed at its ease.
- Interface is very complex compare to the other authoring tools.
- Budget constraints arise if not potentially used.
Lectora Inspire 17:
- Course compliance standards SCORM, HTML and xAPI.
- Interactivity courses compliance with WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) and 508 standards.
- Well trained developers with programming skills are required to create courses.
All the eLearning authoring tools mentioned above have their own benefits and limitations but you have to ideally evaluate every tool and pick up the most suitable tool that makes your online courses at ease. Also you need to be cautious about the software whether it serves you with the better customer support.
Click the button to gain access to our showcase courses/eLearning portfolio.